Pages

Monday, February 24, 2014

Peanut Butter & Co. Dark Chocolate Dreams

We are still in the month of February. This time of year seems to move at a glacial pace. Short days, cold weather, and dark winter skies do not assist with the enthusiasm I find myself lacking mid-winter. However, as I keep attempting to eat well and drink hot tea, I have been on the lookout for a soy free, sweet way to cheer myself up from the “blahs.”

One way I like to treat myself without feeling too guilty is by pairing my indulgence with a healthy partner. Yesterday, it was +Peanut Butter & Co. Dark Chocolate Dreams with a side of fresh, Fuji apple. The chocolate satisfied my sweet tooth, and the apple was fresh. In my book, that is a win-win scenario.
Previously, I wrote about my experience with another Peanut Butter & Co. product, White Chocolate Wonderful. The peanut butter and white chocolate spread performed well in the Sans Soy test, but did its dark chocolate sibling fare the same?
Peanut Butter & Co. Dark Chocolate Dreams

Product: Peanut Butter& Co. Dark Chocolate Dreams


Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter


Quality: The peanut butter has a consistency that is thick and velvety. A chocolate aroma with peanut undertones quickly fills the air once the jar is opened. As previously noted with the white chocolate spread, this butter does involve extra effort to smear on bread. Unlike more common peanut butter brands, the ground peanuts and oil do not separate to create an unsightly top layer when initially opening the jar.


Taste: Peanuts are detected in this spread, after all, it is peanut butter. However, the shining star is the chocolate. Ever so sweet, and slightly bitter, the chocolate enables the spread to be sweet without rotting teeth. A faint taste of vanilla rounds out the flavors.

Price: One jar of the dark chocolate peanut butter costs $6.00 from the Peanut Butter & Co. online store.

Overall grade: B+. I enjoyed the pairing of dark chocolate with peanut butter. The consistency, even being thick, was easy to blanket my apple slices without fear of slipping off. Also, it would be delicious topping a banana. In line with organic nut butters found at health food stores, the price is reasonable. But, this is not a product made with organic ingredients, which would be an addition I would happily enjoy.


P.S. The Dark Chocolate Dreams Sandwich at the Peanut Butter& Co. NYC Sandwich Shop looks delicious. A sandwich made with dark chocolate peanut butter, cherry jam, and shredded coconuts? Yes, please! 

No comments:

Post a Comment