Pages

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

So Delicious Mint Chocolate Coconut Milk



A colleague of mine is on a vegan kick. She tells me about her latest meat-, dairy-, and egg-free adventures and recipes. The creation and innovation that goes into making some vegan foods amazes me. Although I am not a vegan, I do appreciate the lifestyle and oftentimes find myself eating without any animal products at all. From time to time we, my colleague and I, share vegan treats. To get in the holiday spirit, I bought a nut milk, So Delicious Mint Chocolate Coconut Milk, that was sworn to taste like liquid peppermint patties. The selection of So Delicous products were on sale at the time, and, in addition to the coconut health benefits of fewer calories and fat, it seemed like the perfect nondairy treat for Christmastime. The name sounds impressive, but how did the So Delicious Mint Chocolate Coconut Milk do in the Sans Soy test?




Quality: The milk is thick and even has a beautiful, creamy brown color. Initially, I did not adequately shake up the beverage before pouring which led to a translucent khaki-colored liquid to dispense. However, I shook the carton with more vigor and all clear liquid disappeared. When I sniffed the milk, I scented a peppermint explosion—the smell was strong! I was unsure of what to expect about the texture of the coconut milk, however the liquid was smooth as silk. 

Taste: Peppermint is a powerful component of the coconut milk’s taste, quickly followed by chocolate. The two flavors work well together, creating a harmony without overpowering the other. Added sugars made the milk to be saccharine and syrupy on its own, most likely due to the use of stevia. Yet, the sweetness was excellent when combined with some coffee to make a holiday twist on the traditional mocha drink.

Price: The mint chocolate coconut milk is available in the size of one quart. On sale at my local Whole Foods Market, I paid $2.99 for one carton.

Overall grade: B. The flavored coconut milk did not hit the ball out of the park in my book, but this is due to personal taste bud opinions. The texture was not bad, but not outstanding, either. I recommend giving the bad boy a hardy shake prior to each use. Once opened, the milk turns sour in seven to ten days.

No comments:

Post a Comment