Pages

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Trader Joe's Milk Chocolate Truffle Bar

Who does not love chocolate? Not me, that is for sure. At times, I can have a humongous sweet tooth. This sugar craving is the reason why an organic chocolate bar landed in my shopping cart at Trader Joe's. I was doing well eating clean as I stocked up on fresh produce such as kale, apples and avocados, but the chocolate arrived in my basket while I impatiently waited in line to check out.

Oftentimes, chocolate is made with soy lecithin, an emulsifying agent. For those who suffer from a soy allergy, this is detrimental. After reading the ingredients on my organic chocolate wrapper, I was pleasantly surprised to see a lack of soy. But, does a generic brand of organic, soy-free chocolate hold up well in the Sans Soy test?

Product: Trader Joe's Organic Milk Chocolate Truffle Bar



Quality: For those with willpower and are able to consume solely one quadrilateral of chocolate at a time, the chocolate bar is portioned out into small rectangles, The color is a creamy brown, and melts easily. However, there is a bit of grittiness to the chocolate, as if the sugar did not completely dissolve before hardening.

Taste: A strong chocolate presence is missing from this chocolate bar. At times, I could not decide if the mellow flavor was a bonus, or if it was reminiscent of chalk.  The word "truffle" in the product title had me expecting a luscious chocolate and dairy combination, yet the mix was reminiscent of hot chocolate I drank at school—diluted and dull. There were, however, lovely undertones of caramel and vanilla which complement the rich cocoa flavors.

Price: One chocolate bar costs $1.99 at Trader Joe's.

Overall grade: C+. This bar of chocolate did not mesh well with me. I found the taste to be incomplete, and the texture to contain grit. Compared to another soy-free chocolate bar I reviewed, this generic one is lacking in depth of flavor. However, it is organic, and the price can't be beat.


No comments:

Post a Comment